Introduction of the Saraca asoca (Ashoka tree)
Saraca asoca (Ashoka) tree is found all over India.
These Ashoka trees are grown in gardens for decoration.
It is more common at heights of 2000 feet from sea level.
It is commonly grown in the forest region of the western peninsula, central and eastern Himalayan, and West Bengal.
This tree grows very well near streams or river banks.
Cultivated in gardens throughout India for its beautiful flowers.
The evergreen Ashok tree is 25 to 30 feet tall, and its numerous dense branches provide cool shade.
When the Ashoka tree becomes mature, it is brown in colour and rough.
The inside of the Ashoka tree bark is reddish in colour.
Leaves of the Ashoka tree are 9 inches long, round, and pointed.
The leaves grow together in pairs of 5 to 6.
The edge of the leaves of the Ashoka tree is wavy.
When the stems of the Ashoka tree are pricked, a liquid-type substance oozes out, which turns red when exposed to air.
Classification of the Saraca asoca (Ashoka tree)
Species: Indica and Asocci
English: Ashoka tree
Telugu : ashokamu, nanjulams
Pharmacological properties of Saraca asoca (Ashoka tree)
Chemical composition of Ashoka tree
The bark has tannins, essential oil, haemotoxicilin, alpha ketosteroid, alpha glycoside, saponins, calcium, and carbonic compounds, one with calcium as well as the other with iron.
The ketosteroid of the bark has properties as that of the estrogen hormone, and this is why it is very effective on the reproductive organs.
- Uterine sedative
Ayurvedic classification of the Saraca asoca (Ashoka tree)
Rasa: Kasaya and tikta
Guna: Laghu and ruksha
Action on dosa
Kapha samak because of kasaya, tikta rasa and katu vipaka.
Pitta samaka because of sita virya and kasaya tikta rasa.
Properties of Saraca asoca (Ashoka tree)
- Saraca asoca (Ashoka) tree is light, dry, bitter, pungent, and cool.
- It promotes the growth of the spleen.
- This tree helps to improve blood formation in the body.
- Ashoka trees also act as a pain reliever.
- It improves the complexion of the skin,
- It also enhances bone healing in the condition of fracture or bones having less density,
- Saraca asoca (Ashoka) tree is very fragrant and cures tri dosha.
- Ashoka tree is also beneficial as an antihelmintic,
- Ashoka tree shows good results in assisting the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis.
- It cures uterus related disorders.
- Very useful in all types of fever.
- Ashoka tree has outstanding results in problems related to acidity as well as indigestion.
- It is also used to cure bleeding disorders. In addition, it is very effective in treating renal stones and very urinary disorders.
- The bark of the Ashoka tree has properties to acts as an analgesic as well as antipyretic.
- It also helps cures stomach related disorders,
- It is very beneficial in the condition of having excessive bleeding from the uterus.
- The bark’s juice eradicates excessive bleeding.
Medicinal usage of Saraca asoca (Ashoka tree)
This tree Promotes intellect:
- Take equal quantities of Ashoka’s bark along with Brahmi powder.
- Give one teaspoon full of this mixture to the patient each morning and night with 1 cup of milk.
- Give this mixture to the patient regularly for a few months.
- It will assist in sharpening the intellect.
- Take the decoction of Ashoka tree bark and then boil it till it becomes thick.
- Take it off from the fire and let it cool down.
- Add an equal amount of mustard oil to the decoction of Ashoka bark.
- Apply this decoction of Ashoka tree bark on acne and also on boils etc.
- Regular use of this decoction of Ashoka tree bark will show positive results.
- Take the seed powder of Saraca asoca (Ashoka) tree not more than the size of a rice seed.
- Wrap this powder in betel leaf.
- Give this to the patient 6 to 7 times in 3 to 4 days.
- It will help to give relief from the bronchial asthma.
- Note: It should not be used more than two times in a single day.
Use of the Saraca asoca (Ashoka tree) to Improves complexion :
- Take the juice of Ashoka tree bark and also mustard seeds in addition to the bark.
- Grind mustard seeds in the juice of Ashoka tree bark. Let this mixture dry in the shade at room temperature.
- When it is to be applied on the face, grind mustard in its bark’s juice, and apply it on the face.
- Apply this paste on the skin two times a day.
- This paste will helps you to improve the complexion of the skin.
- Take equal quantities of Ashoka tree bark as well as flowers.
- Take 30 gm of this mixture and soak this in a glass of water at night.
- The next day morning, strain the solution and give it to the patient three times a day.
- In addition,
- Similarly, soak the mixture in the morning, which can be given to the patient in the evening.
- It Definitely provides relief to bleeding piles.
- Take 2 to 3 gm flowers of Ashoka tree and grind them in water.
- Give this mixture to the patient, and it will assist to cure metrorrhagia.
- Take 10 gm of Ashoka tree inner bark’s powder, 50 gm of sathi rice ( It should be noted: rice crops which mature in 60 days) powder, 10 gm sugar powder, and also 3 gm honey.
- Mix them all and give this mixture to the patient until the blood flow stops.
- Give this mixture to the patient each morning and evening.
- It helps cures metrorrhagia.
- Take equal quantities of barks of Ashok tree, babul, cluster fig, majphool, as well as potassium.
- Grind them all, then take 50 gm of the powder and boil it in 400 ml water till water is reduced to 100 ml.
- Strain the solution and, with the help of a syringe, inject it into the vagina of the patient at night.
- Do not urinate for at least 1 hour after the injection.
- Within a few days of treatment, the vaginal opening will squeeze and take its standard shape.
- Note: While using this treatment, also take the advice of the local physicians.
- Also, treatment should be given by an expert medical practitioner.
Renal stones :
- Take 1 to 2 gm Ashoka tree seeds and grind them in water.
- Give the patient two teaspoons full of this paste regularly.
- It will help to cure problems of urination and also relieves the pain due to stones.
- Give 6 gm powder of the bark with milk to the patient every morning and evening.
- Also, apply the paste of this powder on the bone.
- It helps in joining the bones and relieves the pain.
Decocotion: 40 to 80 ml
Seed powder: 1 to 3 g
Flower powder: 1 to 3 g
Some of the classical formulation of Saraca asoca (Ashoka tree) prescribed in Ayurveda
- Ashoka arista
- Mohamarichdya taila
Uses of Saraca asoca (Ashoka tree) according to Homeopathy
- Especially effective in uterine disorder
- Unilateral headache ( Especially due to migraine )
- Pains in the eyeballs
- Nasal catarrh
- Profuse watery discharge
- Also very useful in Anosmia
- The desire for sweets, acid things.
- Thirsty and excessive nausea
- Obstinate constipation
- Pain along the spine, radiating to the abdomen and thighs.
- Disturbed sleep
- Dreams of traveling
- Hurried respiration
- Difficulty in breathing when walking and worse in the afternoon and evening.
- Hacking cough
- Pain over the pericardium
- Palpitation of the heart, worse on movement, walking or bending forward
- Drawing pain in the spermatic cord, itching in the scrotum, as well as seminal discharge with or without dreams
- Headache due to suppression of menses.
- Menstrual discharge is scanty, pale, as well as watery foul-smelling, blackish
- Profuse long-lasting menses making the female weak and anemic.
- Useful in sterility and as well as in menopause.
- Leucorrhea from delayed menses or in place of menses.
Mother tincture, 2x, 3x
- Sushruta Sahita
- Charaka Sahita
- Dravya Guna vijnana
- Secrets of Indian herbs
- Manual of Homoeopathic Materia medica